Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Two weekends - same snack

I found this yummy recipe for Crispy Smore Treats in my Pampered Chef Casual Cooking cookbook (there's lots of good stuff in here - I totally recommend it!) They flew off the plate at our adoption group and a double batch flew off the plate at a Super Bowl party. I'd like to say that I had no part in consuming them, but in truth I think I sort of lost count . . .

I'm going to write the directions to reflect how I prepared them because it worked just great and made it easy, easy, easy!

Crispy Smore Treats
Prep Time: 10 min Cook time: 5 min Cool Time: 30 min

2 1/2 cups cocoa-flavored sweetened rice cereal
6 whole (about 5 x 2-inch) graham crackers, coarsely chopped
3 T butter or margarine
2 T packed brown sugar
3 1/2 cups miniature marshmallows, divided
3/4 cup milk chocolate morsels

1. Place lid on bottom of Scalloped Bread Tube; spray with non-stick cooking spray. Place graham crackers in a gallon-sized ziploc bag and crush into course chunks. Add cereal to bag.

2. In a large, microwave-safe bowl, melt butter with brown sugar - stirring occasionally. Add 2 1/2 cups marshmallows and return to microwave for approximately 1 minute until marshmallows are swelled and melting. Remove from microwave and stir until smooth.

3. Add cereal to marshmallow mixture and stir until well coated. Stir in remaining 1 cup marshmallows.

4. Using a large ice cream scoop (with trigger action) or spoon coated with non-stick cooking spray, immediately place a few scoops of mixture into bread tube. As you fill tube, make sure to pack the mixture. Cool completely.

5. Push mixture out of tube onto cutting board. Using a serrated bread knife, but crosswise into 1/2-inch slices.

6. Microwave chocolate morsels in a small bowl, uncovered, on HIGH one minute, stirring every 15 seconds, until chocolate is melted and smooth. Pour into a small resealable food storage bag. Twist top of bag and secure. Cut a small tip off corner of bag. Decorate treats with chocolate, let stand until set.

Yields 16 treats

If you don't have the Pampered Chef bread tube, I think you could also press this mixture into a 9 x 9 pan and then drizzle chocolate on top before or after cutting. But the bread tube is just so fun!!! I need to get another one though because I don't often bake one loaf or batch of goodies. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment